Chicken Azteca is one of my favorite recipes! Not only is it SO easy and SO delicious, it’s cheap, filling, & healthy too! It’s also gluten free and sugar free, and can be made grain free/dairy free simply by omitting a few of the extras!!
Here’s how to make it!
- 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (depending on size)
- 2 cans of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- 2 cups of enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of dry brown rice
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
It’s really easy, get ready…
1. Put the chicken in the crockpot.
2. Dump the beans (drained/rinsed), corn (drained), and enchilada sauce on top. Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
3. Where there is about 30 minutes left, take your chicken breasts out and let them cool slightly. While that’s happening, start your rice on the stovetop (or in a rice cooker if you have one). Shred the chicken with a fork and stir it back into the crockpot.
4. Time to eat! In a bowl, layer rice, chicken mixture, & cheese. Yum, yum!
I love that this recipe feeds all six of us with only 1 or 2 chicken breasts, WITH plenty of leftovers (or enough to serve guests as well)! And it’s super adaptable for people with dietary restrictions — like I have PCOS, so I can’t have carbs, so I just have mine without rice. I have a friend whose son is dairy free, so he just had his without cheese. Easy!