Pepperoni Strata is one of my favorite dinners to make for my family. They love it because it’s hot, gooey, and delicious. I love it because it’s filling, cheap, and packed with spinach!
Now, I’ll be honest… the first time I read the recipe, I thought, “That sounds disgusting. Eggs and pepperoni and spinach and bread?!?” But I’m glad I gave it a shot, because it’s really, really good!
Here’s the recipe!
- 8 eggs
- 1¾ cups milk
- ¼ tsp each garlic powder and salt
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread (I get it from the day-old shelf at Walmart for 40-60¢)
- sliced pepperoni (about half of a small package)
- fresh spinach (a few cups, more or less, depending on how much your family likes spinach)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic powder, and salt.
2. Slice the bread into ½” slices.
3. Layer the bread in the bottom of a sprayed 9×13″ casserole dish. I cut some in half to make them fit nice and tightly like a puzzle.
4. On top of the bread, put a layer of pepperoni slices and spinach.
5. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese on top.
6. Repeat the layers: bread, pepperoni, spinach, cheese. Then carefully pour the egg/milk mixture on top of the layers, trying to cover it all.
7. Cover with foil and refrigerate for 3-4 hours (or more if you want to make before work and have it ready when you get home).
8. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake covered for 15 minutes, then uncovered for 25 minutes.
9. Slice and enjoy!!