For a while now, I have loved cleaning with vinegar. It’s natural, it’s healthy, it’s cheap… but boy is it stinky! My husband hates the smell, and it lingers in the house. So I came up with a way to make it smell nicer!
This recipe is SO easy. All you need is:
- orange peels
- a jar (reuse an old jelly jar)
- a spray bottle (reuse an old cleaner bottle or get one at Walmart for 96 cents)
It takes both a long time to make and also only a few minutes. Let me explain.
- Peel some oranges, and eat the good stuff. Then put the peels in a jar. The more peels you stuff in there, the better your cleaner will smell. Cover it with vinegar and close the jar tightly. Let sit for a month. Seriously, a month. I left the jar on my windowsill, and in that time the vinegar will steep all the orangey-ness out of the peels. That’s the “long time” part.
- When you are ready to make the cleaner, simply pour the vinegar out of the jar and into a spray bottle (use a funnel to avoid spills).
- Then fill the rest of the way with water.
- Lastly, label the bottle. I have several homemade cleaners, and I don’t want to get them mixed up!
Super easy, right? I use this cleaner all over my house – in bathrooms, the kitchen, wiping down toys and furniture… pretty much anywhere you’d use an all-purpose cleaner. The vinegar smell is only faintly there, but mostly I just smell the oranges!
To do some math here, this bottle of cleaner costs roughly 19 cents. A commercially-sold bottle of cleaner ranges from $2-$5, depending on what kind you get. And this doesn’t even take into consideration the harsh chemicals. So, I much prefer this way!